Monday, March 8, 2010

Module VI Response

Essential Question: How are the Earth, atmosphere, and cultures all connected?

The main topic of this module, the atmosphere, gives the greatest evidence to support that we (the cultures of people that live on this Earth) are all connected. The fluid nature of the atmosphere affects both the Earth and the cultures on it interchangeably. These different layers of gases trapped in our atmosphere and encircling our planet are multifunctional - they guard us from the intensely warming heat and energy of the sun, they are involved in the process that brings contaminants from one part of the world to the other, and they influence the winds and forces of nature that create weather systems that affect cultures all over the world. I especially appreciated this concept of understanding the trophosphere we live in as not just gases, but as a fluid. In effect, we live at the bottom of an ocean of air. Just like water, air has turbulence." Tips of mountains on Earth affect the direction the air/wind flow, tornadoes are likened to whirlpools of the ocean, and clouds are likened to waves. (Reveal Earth's Ocean, National Geographic) The cultures that live on Earth are in a constant relationship with these things daily. The Contaminants of the Food Chain TD resource has some frightening implications for the people of the Arctic regions. Climactic conditions from the different pressure systems carry large air masses filled with pollutants from industries all over the world to be pumped up to the artic, especially in the winter and the spring - all in a matter of days! These toxins are absorbed into the Arctic food chain, and the animals at the top of the food chain have such high levels of environmental toxins and PCB, it leads one to wonder about the various ways in which it must in some way be transmitted to the humans that hunt and eat those animals...not to the mention the scare of the Arctic haze!

On a different note, I thought it was interesting how the Alaska Native pilots merge their traditional knowledge with western science by taking knowledge from the Western world and apply it to what they know to make them stronger, more knowledgeable pilots. (I also found the lyrics of the Native song at the end of the the Alaska Native Pilots TD resource wonderful: "Everything is beautiful, the younger generations are looking back, up in the moon I swing, everything is beautiful.")

Extend:
To the right is a screen shot I took that illustrates an atmospheric phenomenon we learned about in this module and some in the past. I would use this near-real time weather information to help my third graders understand weather systems, especially as they are currently learning about weather, temperature, wind, and precipitation. They would love to see the cloud cover move from one area to another, and while they may not grasp it completely it will still help them visualize as well as be engaging.

One of the other resources I found useful as it related to this module is the TD resource, Expedition 8 Crew Talks to Students in Japan. I think my students would really connect to and appreciate hearing the comments of the astronauts to actual students!


Another resource I use is a resource that my school subscribes to (sorry, it is NOT a free resource!) that I frequently use to help students visualize science concepts (including their invisible atmosphere!) is BrainPOP. BrainPOP is a research supported creation that used animated, curriculum-based content that engages students, supports educators, and bolsters achievement - not to mention my students LOVE it. It has quizzes that can be printed out and given to students individually or fun electronic quizzes that can be done after watching the educational video segments, and there are even ideas for experiments (see below) relating to the concepts explained in the video segements. Valuable resource!

Evaluate:
  • Vertical Structure of the Atmosphere was interesting, easy to use, and not too advanced for my third graders.
  • The National Geographic video on YouTube, Reveal Earth's Atmosphere
  • I was happy to see that this module had included a link to National Geographic, as it is a site that I have used in the past and found great resources to supplement various aspects of my curriculum (particularly a unit on animal habitats). However, if I am being brutally honest I must say is that it can sometimes be a little complicated to navigate and/or find specific resources due to the way that they are arranged and connected. But if you are willing to spend some time researching, it is well worth it!
  • Another useful resource was the "Helpful Hint" posted at the end of Part II that explained that the four questions that came before it came from the Teachers' Domain interactive resources linked to the video. I have used the "Background Essay" previously earlier to help me better understand some of the science that is a bit um, over my head - but I had not yet thought about how I could use the discussion questions with my students. I now realize that most of the discussion questions linked to resources that we are using for this class are too complex for third grade, but now I know that when I find resources that are appropriate for my students I should definitely be looking at the discussion questions as well!
  • I really enjoyed the YouTube Weather School resource. It helped me to summarize and understand some of what I consider the more complex things we have been learning about in more simple terms. I think my third graders could understand and grasp quite a few of these when explained this way:
  1. What goes up, must come down
  2. The sun is the driving force of the weather
  3. Cold air is dense, warm air is less dense
  4. Air flows from high to low pressure. (the "vacuum cleaner" effect)
  5. Air is a fluid trying to achieve equilibrium
  6. Winds blow anti-clockwise around low pressure & clockwise around high pressure (reverse these for the Southern hemisphere)

1 comment:

  1. Sara, you are a seriously strong writer. Great voice and intellect. Your blogs are all engaging, informed and resourceful. Bravo!

    ReplyDelete